A few hours after the speech of Russian President Vladimir Putin with a message to the Federal Assembly, in which he proposed a whole package of amendments to the Russian Constitution, in particular, giving the State Duma the right to approve the composition of the government, this very government resigned. He stated this at the meeting of the members of the Cabinet with the Head of State Dmitry Medvedev.
Vladimir Putin nominated Mikhail Mishustin, who had previously served as head of the Federal Tax Service, for the post of Head of the Government. His candidacy for Prime Minister has been submitted for approval to the State Duma of the Russian Federation, which will convene on January 16th for an extraordinary session.
• Mikhail Vladimirovich Mishustin was born on March 3rd 1966 in Moscow, and in 1989 he graduated from the Moscow Machine Tool Institute with a specialty in automated design systems.
• He has a PhD in Economics.
• From 1992 to 1995 he was a Director of a test laboratory, then he served as Deputy General Director and Chairman of the Board of the International Computer Club.
• In 1998 he was appointed Deputy Head of the Russian State Tax Service.
• In 1999-2004 he was Deputy Minister of the Russian Federation for Taxes and Fees. From 2004 to 2006 he headed the Federal Agency for Real Estate Cadastre.
• In 2007-2008 he headed the Federal Agency for the Management of Special Economic Zones.
• In 2008 he was appointed President of the OFG Group of Companies (“OFG Invest”), one of the largest companies operating in Russia in the field of asset management, direct investments, as well as mutual investment funds together with Deutsche Bank.
• In 2010 he was appointed head of the Federal Tax Service.
Mikhail Mishustin is the author of a monograph on information-technological mechanisms of state tax administration and a monograph on information-technological foundations of property tax administration.
His biography suggests that he is a high-ranking professional bureaucrat. The Tax Service of the Russian Federation is considered one of the most effective in the world, and this is largely thanks to Mishustin.
The fact that the new Prime Minister is not a political figure means that he will serve as a technical Prime Minister in this post. It is obvious that this post is intended soon for Vladimir Putin himself. Such a conclusion can be drawn on the basis of the prepared amendments to the Constitution of the Russian Federation, according to which the role of the Prime Minister increases sharply and he is appointed not by the President, but by the State Duma.
Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved.